Fareham Men's Shed Menu

Last updated 26-06-2019

Annual General Meetings


Download the 2019 AGM minutes here

Download the 2018 AGM minutes here    Jump to 2018 minutes

Members at AGM

2019 AGM Minutes

Minutes of the 3rd Annual General Meeting of Fareham Men’s Shed (FMS)


Held on 11th February 2019 at the Titchfield Festival Theatre (TFT)

    Malcolm McInnes, Rod Parker, Jack Langford, Chris Hodgson, Keith Curtis, Neville Wheeler, Mick Foster, Bob McFarland, Richard Bunce, Dave Thompson, Geoff Colverson, Mike Martin, Peter Raven, Chris Nixon, Bill Hellyer-Kinch, Tony Crane, Gordon Henniker, John Codling, Peter Keepence, John Wathen, Chris Lane, Malcolm Pike, Milton Hewins, Colin Mansbridge, Paul Jackson, Terry Moore, Brian Matthews, Oliver Betton, Barry Groce, Ken Stretton, John Ewens, Neil Johnson, Paul Ramsay, Steven Richards, Colin Babb & Ern Bowles
    • Apologies:
    • Alan Pearton, Dave Jarman & Julian Shaw
    • Guests:
    • Kevin Fraser (TFT), A. Whyntie (TCCA), Darren Pritchett (Waitrose), E Collins, & David Day.
    • Previous minutes:
    • The minutes of last year’s AGM (2018)were approved and accepted. Proposer - Chris Nixon, seconder - John Codling.

    • There were no matters arising
  1. Chairman's ReportChairman's report:
  2. The meeting was opened by the chairman who welcomed all those present.
    The chairman delivered his report and focused on the following arears:- Internal Activites, Community Projects, Future Projects, Social Outings, Information Meetings, Raising Shed Awareness, Future Events & H&S policy
    • Internal Activities:
    • The chairman reported, FMS received CIO status and is operating independently from CAF. This brings huge benefits but also addidtional responsibilities and a different way of how the SHED manages it's affairs.
    • There was also a Grand Opening of the enhanced facilities with Radio Solent’s Nick Girdler and Deputy Mayors in attendance
    • Welcome mornings were organised to greet new members and for existing member to get to know each other informally.
    • Our annual charity Macmillan coffee morning was also a big sucess, raising in excess of £400 for the charity.
    • We had an open day with the Lady Mayoress in attendance and to showcase our facilities to potential members.
    • The Christmas party organised by the committee was very well attended by the membership and partners.
    • Individual Projects:
    • There was no shortage of Individual projects undertaken by members, some examples – Oliver’s rattles, African instruments and figures,Tommo’s rocking horses and animal arc.
    • Group projects:
    • Good contribuitions from members facilitated the completion of the workshop rebuild with very little exernal labour costs
    • Bird boxes-Traditional, and new bored out branches, and insect boxes of different sizes were manfactured and sold to raise funds.
    • Preparing scrap for sale was aslo well supported by members.
    • Community projects:
    • Teams were formed to take on projects for the wider community and below are some examples of the work carried out.
    • Asda fireplace for the store for their build up to Christmas
    • ‘Race horses’ for Lions - renovation and improvement.
    • Bra ping-pong portable board game for Titchfield breast cancer haven.
    • Props and storage boxes for Titchfield Festival Theathre.
    • Maintenance of benches and tables in the quad area of Redlands lane School.
    • Painting and decorating and ongoing computer system set at Hovercraft Museum based in Lee-on-Solent.
    • Future projects:
    • The chairman also mentioned other potential community work FMS have agreed to take on in 2019.
    • Refurbishment of the Christmas sleigh for the Lions.
    • Further classroom maintenance for Redlands School.
    • Future work at the Hovercraft museum.
    • Social outings / Visits:
    • The chairman reported that FMS operated without a social secretary in 2018, unfortunately not many events were organised. However a couple of events were arranged by the committee and enjoyed by those who attended.
    • The ‘Screwfix Live’ exhibition iin Southampton.
    • The Solent Air Museum featuring 3D printing and hand to scan demonstrations.
    • A visit to Yandles was arranged, but sadly this was rained off.
    • Information/Presentations/Meetings:
    • From time to time informative e-mails were sent to members highlighting changes relevant to Senior citizens, most recently TV licensing for the over-75s.
    • Local companies were invited to present and update members in changes in the law regarding IHT, offer financial advice services and the importance of having Wills and Powers of Attorney doucuments in place.
    • Training sessions carried out on power tools and workshop machines. There was also training available on computers, smart phones, iPads and 3D printing.
    • Training on Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) and selling on Ebay was also arranged for members.
    • Raising Shed Awareness:
    • In 2018 the chairman informed the meeting, FMS attended various forums to raise awareness, recruit new members and touch base with other charities. FMS attended the following events.
    • Wallington Fete.
    • Stubbington Fayre.
    • Suella Braverman's Senior's day.
    • Waitrose tea party.
    • 1 community showcase at Ferneham Hall.
    • Titchfield community association evening.
    • Future Events/Activities:
    • The Chairman touched on events/activities either in planning or are in place for 2019, namely:
    • Triathlon Cards, Dominoes and Darts.
    • Fareham Discovery Fair - 1community.
    • Suella Braverman’s Seniors day.
    • Wallington Fete.
    • Stubbington Fayre.
    • Titchfield Community Association evening.
    • List of proposed social outings.
    • Further training sessions on tools/machines
    • Proposal to create a working group for maintaining a clean environment/maintenance of tools.
    • H&S Policy:
    • Finally in his conclusion, the chairman stressed the importance of H&S and strongly emphasised the importance of adhering to the Shed’s poilcy. He advised members to exercise common sense whilst in the workshop to reduce H&S risks by being aware of overcrowding and keeping safe distances to people working on machines and power tools.
    Treasurer's ReportTreasurer's Report:
    Chris produced a detailed accounts sheet (see below) which was circulated to all members present. He went on to explain the major entries on monies received and expenses incurred during the year:
    • On membership, he reported that we had 43 paid up members and was pleased with the numbers that re-joined. He also informed the meeting that as we are now a charity, the Shed could claim back from the Inland Revenue £12.50 for all members paying income tax and encouraged members to sign up for this rebate.
    • Tea and coffee donations went up slightly over the year but still didn’t match the numbers visiting the shed. He went on to say that for only £1 a week, this represented good value and was a good source of additional income and urged members not to forget to make this contribution when visiting the Shed.
    • The Shed’s charity event- the MacMillan Coffee morning raised around £409, and nearly everything donated by members and sponsors. The left over coffee and tea lasted for six weeks, which helped to keep costs down. Our target for this year is to raise £1000.
    • Fund raising: Chris reminded members that fund raising is not just one person’s job and encouraged members to look out for schemes in supermarkets, local businesses, newspapers and companies that members might know or used to work for and follow up any leads or advise the committee of such initiatives. As an example, he mentioned the Waitrose donation which was initiated by a member outside the committee.
    • Chris concluded:
    • ”IT'S YOUR SHED, YOUR MONEY, THANK'S FOR SUPPORTING IT, BUT PLEASE ALL HELP AND DO YOUR BIT”
  3. Titchfield Festival Theatre's ReportPlans on the Future of the Titchfield Festival Theatre by Kevin Fraser (TFT):
  4. Kevin reported that another successful year was enjoyed by both parties. He hoped the great and excellent relationship would continue long into the future. In the main, the expansion programme and enhanced facilities at the theatre was worth all the disruption. There are now more shows planned offering a wider variety of plays and musicals. Discounted tickets are available to members of the Shed.
    However, further plans to expand the auditorium will impact the area the Shed currently occupies, but Kevin stressed that the Shed is a part of the overall plan.
    Consequently, the Shed will need to relocate next door which has the potential for more floor space.
    Progress so far is:
    • The feasibility study is completed and initial drawings & plans are with the local council.
    • The tenants next door are actively looking for new premises.
    • At this point, he reported that timescales are very sketchy, but the trustees of the theatre believe that things should start to happen at the back end of this year.
    • Kevin reminded the meeting that additional parking (paid for by the theatre) is always available for theatre users at the Holiday Inn. Anyone parking in the hotel should always inform reception of their car details on arrival.
    • He went on to finish his report by promising to keep the Shed informed of developments on a regular basis.
  5. Rule changes:
  6. The trustees put forward a change to move the annual subscriptions due date to after the AGM date. The reason for this is that should members vote to change the subscriptions at the AGM, this could be implemented immeditately and not one year later.
    • Change carried: 34 votes in favour 1- abstention.
  7. Suggestions on Activities put forward by the members:
    • Soldering.
    • Workshop Maintenance
    • Simpler Bird Boxes.
    • Refurbish Organ in the Theatre.
    • Welding.
    • Plan now for items which sell at the Stubbington Fayre.
  8. Notices:
  9. Members were informed of the following:
    • 3D printer facility.
    • Need for silica gel bags.
    • Volunteers for opening and closing the Shed on Fridays’
    • Photos and name badges for members who are without these.
  10. Elections of Trustees:
  11. Under the rules of the CIO, 1/3rd of the number of trustees of the Shed must stand down at the AGM.
    The three trustees who stood down agreed to stand again and were re- elected.
    • Peter Raven - Proposed by Chris Nixon, Seconded by Paul Ramsay Votes 34 for, 0 against
    • Chris Hodgson - Proposed by John Wathen, Seconded by Chris Nixon Votes 34 for, 0 against
    • Milton Hewins - Proposed by Rod Parker, Seconded by Mick Foster Votes 34 for, 0 against
    There were two new trustees elected:
    • Tony Crane - Proposed by Peter Raven, Seconded by Chris Hodgson Votes 34 for 0 against
    • Steve Richards Proposed by Peter Raven, Seconded by Chris Nixon Votes 34 for 0 against
  12. Closing the meeting:
  13. The Chairman thanked all the guests for their attendance and support and the membership for an excellent turn out and said: “It’s the members that makes the SHED what it is”.



Top table members
Download the 2018 AGM minutes here

2018 AGM Minutes


Minutes of the 2nd Annual General Meeting of Fareham Men’s Shed(FMS)


Held on 6th February 2018 at the Titchfield Festival Theatre (TFT)

  1. MEMBERS PRESENT:
    • Members Present: Malcolm McInnes, Rod Parker, Jack Longford, Milton Hewins, Chris Hodgson, Keith Curtis, Neville Wheeler, Michael Foster, Robert McFarland, Richard Bunce, Dave Jarman, Peter Raven, Chris Nixon, Gordon Henniker, Peter Keepence, John Wathen, David Philips, Tony Millis, Raymond Hale, Chris Lane, Colin Mansbridge, Paul Jackson, Graham Bell & Tony Rea
    • Alan Pearton, Bill Hellyer-Kinch, Mike Martin, Tony Crane, Dave Thompson, Ernest Bowles & Geoff Colverson
    • Julian Shaw, Terry Moore, Doug Reeves, Sharon Noble(ASDA), Paul O’Beirne (CAF), Cllr Séan Woodward (FBC), Kevin Fraser (TFT) & Peter Milner
    • MINUTES FROM LAST AGM:
    • The minutes of last year’s AGM were approved and accepted.
      Proposer - Chris Nixon, seconder- Mick Foster.
    • There were no matters arising
  2. Chairman's ReportCHAIRMAN'S REPORT:
    • The meeting was opened by Peter Raven who welcomed all guests and members.
    • He briefly covered the reasons for the purpose of the Shed. He also re-stated the importance of adhering to the H&S policy adopted by the organisation. Peter went on to summarise our involvement in 2017 in the local community projects. He mentioned some of the projects members were involved in such as: Stubbington Ark, Homeless Bus, Gardening, restoring the 1930s organ in TFT and generally helping within the building development of the theatre. He went on to thank all members for their huge commitment, time and effort in helping with the expansion of the FMS facilities within the theatre.
    • Peter also stated that due to the time spent on improving our facilities and involvement in community projects, the social side took a hit and we were not able to organise many outings for members. However we managed to visit Thorngate Hall to see first-hand the workings and set up of a pipe organ which benefited members involved in setting up the pipe organ at TFT. A good day was also enjoyed by members at Tangmere Military Aviation and Museum.
    • Peter also commented on the events we attended to raise the general awareness of the Fareham Men's Shed. FMS manned stands during last year at, Locksheath Shopping Centre, Ferneham Hall, Stubbington Green (Fayre), Fareham College and Fareham Shopping Mall and Precinct.
    • On membership, Peter reported our numbers continue to grow with the vast majority of current members renewing. There are also a number of new members waiting to join.
    • Peter concluded by thanking all members for their efforts and commitment during the last year and reminded the meeting of the challenge we face in going for charitable status. He also stated that an EGM will be called at some point when we are ready to change over to Charitable status.
  3. Community Action Fareham's ReportCOMMUNITY ACTION FAREHAM'S REPORT:
    • Paul O’Beirne expressed his delight in the massive progress in the relative short time the Shed has made since its very first meeting.
    • He praised the committee for their organisational skills and commitment to meet on a regular basis and ensuring progress was maintained by tracking actions and carrying out plans. He also stated that it came as no surprise that FMS were going for CIO (charitable incorporated organisation) status. He stated that all the current governance will have to be reviewed and aligned with the requirements of the CIO. However once this was achieved FMS could greatly benefit from donations made by local businesses. Paul reminded the meeting of the need to volunteer for other roles in the community and to encourage members to spread the word among friends, relatives and neighbours. He concluded, by thanking members for taking on the development of the FMS and stated that at some future date he hopes to join the organisation.
  4. Titchfield Festival Theatre's ReportTITCHFIELD FESTIVAL THEATRE'S REPORT
    • Kevin Fraser stated that it was a great pleasure and a wonderful opportunity to have the Shed on site. He was very happy how FMS has integrated and worked with other volunteers and theatre staff in the development of the site. He gave some examples of the help he received i.e. putting up walls, laying carpet, setting up the pipe Organ and general help with theatre production sets.
    • He stated that he sees the members as his friends and hopes that the relationship continues to grow. Kevin informed the meeting of some key improvements in the pipe-line which are: new and improved toilet facilities and much improved frontage of the building. He thanked the members for being true gentlemen and is looking forward to FMS’s continued support.
  5. Treasurer's ReportTREASURER'S REPORT:
    • Chris produced a detailed accounts sheet which was circulated to all members present. He went on to explain the major entries on monies received and expenses incurred during the year. He was very pleased with the positive responses he received from applications on applying for grants/donations.
    • He also stated that a contribution from members of £1 per week for teas and coffees was also an important source of income and reminded members to ensure this donation continued with regularity. He went on to say that, given the average attendance per week last year, these funds were down by £200.
    • On membership, he reported that we had 34 members with 3 to 4 people waiting to join. He hoped that by the end of the year there would be 55 paid up members. He also stated the need to encourage more retired men to join the Shed so that they have somewhere to meet, socialise and pass on their skills and could also help to combat loneliness.
    • Chris also advised the meeting that due to increases in the rent and insurance, he recommended an increase to the annual subscriptions to cover the bulk of these costs. He went on to explain that these expenses could not be covered from grants/donations as these are only and granted for specific tools/project improvements.

    • A vote of thanks to Chris was suggested from the floor for an excellent detailed report and explanation.
  6. RULE CHANGES:
    • Rule 2.ix - Adding the Safeguarding statement to our Rules. Paul O’Biern suggested a minor change to the wording.
    • This was accepted. Voting to accept was 24-0

    • Rule 3.i - Add the following "Members and prospective members must be able to take care of themselves whilst on the SHED’s premises".
    • This was accepted. Voting to accept was 24-0

    • Rule 4.iv - Proposal to increase Membership Fees with immediate effect to £50
    • Proposer-R McFarland,Seconder- Mick Foster
    • There were 3 counter proposals
      1. The Membership Fee shall be £50 for members joining between January and August. Members joining on/after September 1st pay £5 per complete month.
      2. Proposer - Chris Hodgson, Seconder - Rod Parker
      3. The Membership Fee shall be £50 for members joining in January or February. Members joining on/after March 1st pay £5 per complete month.
      4. Proposer - Gordon Henniker, Seconder - Peter Keepence
      5. The Membership Fee shall be £50 for members joining in January or February, Members joining on/after March 1st pay £5 per complete month, plus a change to rule to 4.vi to include…. In case of hardship the subscription may be REDUCED or waived at the discretion of the committee.
      6. Proposer - Chris Nixon, Seconder - Gordon Henniker
    • Counter Proposal 3 was voted on - Result 17 in favour 7 against. As the majority voted for this proposal, Counter proposals 1 & 2 were not voted on.

    • Rule 4.vii Amend Prospective members grace period to ‘two visits’.
    • This was accepted. Voting to accept was 24-0.
    • Rule 20.i Remove from rules Fareham Men’s Shed ‘Will be insured against personal injury’
    • This was accepted. Voting to accept 23-1 in favour
  7. ELECTION OF OFFICERS: - Below are the results of the election

  8. Position Nomination Proposer Seconder Votes/Result
    Chairman Chairman Peter Raven Neville Wheeler Mick Foster 24/Elected
    Vice Chairman Vice Chairman Mick Foster Peter Raven Chris Hodgson 24/Elected
    Secretary Secretary Milton Hewins Chris Nixon Chris Hodgson 24/Elected
    Treasurer Treasurer Chris Hodgson Rod Parker Peter Raven 24/Elected
    Membership Secretary Membership Secretary Neville Wheeler Peter Raven Mick Foster 24/Elected
    Health & Safety Officer Health & Safety Officer John Wathen Peter Raven Neville Wheeler 24/Elected
    Craft Centre Officer Craft Centre Officer Rod Parker Chris Hodgson Peter Raven 24/Elected
    IT Officer IT Officer Chris Nixon Chris Hodgson Milton Hewins 24/Elected
    Sales Officer Sales Officer Richard Bunce Chris Nixon Chris Hodgson 24/Elected
    Social Secretary   Vacant      
    Deputy Craft Centre Officer   Vacant      

    The two vacant offices of Deputy Craft Centre Officer and Social Secretary. As no nominations were received it was decided that the committee will jointly cover these positions.

    A vote of thanks was recorded for Bob McFarland, the previous Crafts Centre Officer, for all the hard work and dedication that he put in to get the work shop functioning in a safe and efficient manner.

  9. ANY OTHER BUSINESS: An opportunity was provided for our Guests Cllr. Sean Woodward and Sharon Noble from ASDA to say a few words.

    Sharon Noble's CommentsSHARON NOBLE'S (ASDA) COMMENTS:

    Congratulated the Shed on its facilities and was very complimentary on the platform we provide for retired men to meet, learn and socialise. She stated that it was a much needed place for men to attend to combat loneliness. Sharon also stated that there were other ways ASDA are able to help, including donating raffle prizes and allowing FMS a stand outside the store to raise awareness. Once we receive CIO status ASDA could also allow FMS to collect bucket donations from customers from outside their stores.

    Cllr. Woodward's CommentsCLLR. WOODWARD'S (FBC) COMMENTS:

    Thanked us for the invitation to attend the AGM. He was very impressed with the treasurer’s report and stated it was very informative. He advised that funds are available from other councillors, but we should apply quickly as the closing date is 28/02/18. He also informed us of another grant scheme that we may qualify for - The Fareham Community Grant Scheme which can be applied for on-line or we can contact him directly should we need further help with our application.

    Séan wished us every success with our endeavours to obtain CIO status, he also reminded us that with the status came further responsibilities but also added there were many benefits to be gained by FMS when charitable status is granted.


  10. CLOSING STATMENT:
    The Chairman, Peter Raven closed the meeting by thanking officers who were standing down and also thanked those who were standing again.

Nearly all of the committee
One of these days we really will be able to get a picture of ALL of the committee together


Download the 2017 AGM minutes here



Fareham Men's Shed Footer